Embarking on a PhD in the Netherlands
Photo caption: PhD Recruitment 2019 at the Erasmus Huis Jakarta
After the conclusion of the Week of Indonesia-Netherlands Education and Research (WINNER) 2021, AcademicTransfer in collaboration with Nuffic NESO Indonesia will be holding the third edition of the PhD Recruitment Day Indonesia, online, on Friday, 29th October 2021. This event offers the opportunity for researchers who are interested in obtaining a PhD in the Netherlands to meet (one-on-one) and discuss with their potential research supervisor. Find out below why you should not miss out this chance and register as candidate.
PhD in the Netherlands
Research in the Netherlands is carried out by universities, research institutions and companies. Most PhD positions are often announced by institutions such as AcademicTransfer, in scientific journals or on bulletin boards at other institutions. Candidate who are interested within the PhD position being offered could contact the institution directly to find out the procedure for applying. A specific research proposal could also be presented to universities or research groups that conduct research in the relevant field and are able to financially support the research.
At a glance, here are the number of reasons to pursue a PhD in The Netherlands:
- Excellent graduate school
- World-class research
- Various fields of research and cross-disciplinary collaboration
- There are 14 research universities and 11 of them are listed in the 200 best universities according to The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- PhD programmes from universities in the Netherlands are highly valued for their high academic standards
- The Netherlands ranks very well internationally in the categories of number of publications per researcher (2nd) and impact of research publications (4th)
- PhD candidates in the Netherlands are often under paid employment contracts
- PhD programme is not considered as a study but as a substantial research activity
PhD Recruitment in Indonesia
PhD Recruitment Day Indonesia is an annual event that has been organized and supported by AcademicTransfer and Nuffic Neso Indonesia since 2018. This event is expected to facilitate Indonesian postgraduates to meet Dutch institutions, professors, and recruiters that could potentially be their future PhD supervisor. PhD candidates who are currently receiving research funding/scholarship from Indonesian government could make use of this opportunity to obtain a Letter of Admission (LoA) from a Dutch university and get the PhD programme started. The available scholarship schemes from Indonesian government for PhD programme include:
- Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP) – Indonesia Ministry of Finance
- 5000 Doktor – Indonesian Ministry of Religious Affairs
- Beasiswa Pendidikan Dosen – Indonesian Ministry of Education, Culture, Research and Technology
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the event is coming back this year through an online platform on
How does it work? One on one interview etc.
Candidates who are interested to join should register on the event webpage by completing an online form, uploading an up-to-date English CV, a short personal research statement and preferably a research proposal. Selected candidates will receive an invitation for a 20-minute video interview with a designated professor or recruiter.