How to organise an interactive online session
An online session during a conference often requires a different preparation and set-up than a session during an offline conference. An important difference is for example the much shorter attention timespan that the participants have. On top of that, the speaker cannot directly see the level of engagement of the listeners. The following tips and tricks might help you organise a lively and memorable online conference session.
- Use frequent changes in the presentation. For example, alternate formats such as following a lecture by a discussion, survey, etc. Also take care not to overdo the changes!
- Make your online session interactive
- Exercises and challenges
- Questions (surveys, polls, mentimeter)
- Use the chatbox well
- Have several speakers, e.g. a panel discussion between two speakers with a different point of view (with a moderator)
- Work as much as possible with graphics on the presentation slides and avoid having (too much) text on them.
- Use video
- Use the option for breakout groups
- Don’t forget to slip in some jokes and humour!
- Prepare for the unexpected!
For more elaboration on some of those tips and tricks, you can have a look at https://myownconference.com/blog/en/index.php/make-webinars-interactive/